Daily Archives: September 16, 2010

Charges in Manila Hostage Crisis

By CARLOS H. CONDE
The New York Times
Published: September 16, 2010

MANILA — At least 10 people, including police officers, government officials and journalists, will face charges in the deaths of eight Hong Kong residents who were held hostage on a bus in downtown Manila last month, the Philippine justice secretary said on Thursday.

Speaking at a news conference in Manila, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said she would recommend criminal and administrative charges but declined to elaborate on the accusations or identify who would be charged. Ms. de Lima, who is overseeing a panel investigating the Aug. 23 hostage standoff, said a report would be submitted to President Benigno S. Aquino III on Friday. Continue reading

Posted in Stories (All), Stories (The New York Times / International Herald Tribune) | Leave a comment